Monday, January 26, 2009

And We Thought The Broken Arm Was Bad!



First off, let me start by saying Morgy is bound to give me a heart attack and she is only 2. This past week I experienced the worst week of my entire live. Never before have I been so scared, sad, confused, anxious, worried, sleep deprived and helpless all at once. The worst thing imaginable, I now have expierenced and that is watching your child be so horribly sick, lying in hospital bed being poked to death with needles, struggling to breathe, and you sitting there watching with no way of helping.
So last Monday night, Morghan woke up in the middle of the night and said mommy I don't feel good. I went in and checked her and she had a slight fever and a little runny nose. I gave her some Tylenol and she fell back asleep. I took her to Day Care on Tuesday because I had a Dr's appointment out of town, while at my Dr's appt. the lady called and said Morghan was miserable and had a fever, so Nate went and picked her up. I still was just thinking she had a horrible cold and was treating her with Tylenol and Motrin and kept her Humidifier on. Wednesday was no different, but a little worse, she layed on the couch all day (which is very unusual for her) I called every doctor to get her in but no one could get me in. So, Wednesday night she was coughing really bad, I went in to check on her and she was struggling to breathe. Her respirations were 70 breathes per minute (normal 12-20) her temp was 104.0, and she was not really responding to me. I ran downstairs and grabbed my nursing bag so I could check her oxygen saturation, which was 72% (normal for toddler is 95%-100%). So I ran in and told Nate we were going the the ER. At 3:00 in the morning we scooped her out of bed and away we went. Morghan's vitals had gotten worse by the time we got there and they immediately starting running every test possible. They checked her for RSV,strep, Flu all which were negative. They poked her 5 times and finally got an IV in her to bring her fever down. Finally after a chest xray they found that she had Pneumonia in both lobes and surrounding her sternum. They immediately started antibiotics on her and admitted her to the hospital. Wednesday,Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday were pure hell. I think Morghan had a total of 10 sticks for IV Starts, 4 blood draws, 3 chest xrays, 3 nasal swabs, 2 mouth swabs. She was woke up every 2 hours for breathing treatments and vital checks. She struggled to breathe and cried all the time to go home. Although her Pneumonia was getting better her symptoms weren't. We walked her for the first time on Saturday night and she was so weak she would fall over. All she kept saying was "I want to go home mommy. Those people hurt me."Sunday afternoon, they decided they would let her go, only on oxygen and breahing treatments at home. They also left her IV in because she is not drinking so I would have to give her IV fluids if she continues to not drink. She is still only at 85-89% on her oxygen intake. She continues with two antibotics,pain meds, cough medicine and breathing treatments every 4 hours. We had a checkup today and the Pneumonia is still there but is definately getting better. The doctor is just very concerned about keeping her hydrated. I have to take her in tomorrow and if she's lost a pound he is admitting us again for fear of dehydration. I haven't slept in 5 days, and within those 5 days all I've done is cry. I seriously feel for those parents who have chronically ill kids who have to sit in hospitals day in and day out and be so helpless. I take for granted the fact that Morghan has been such a healthy child. I would never wish upon anyone what we have gone through this week. Thank goodness for my amazing parents who came down and helped and sat in the hospital room day in and day out with us, my mom would cook and bring us dinners and in between go home and walk our dogs. Truly, I don't know what I would have done without the love and support of my family and friends through this hard time. We are not out of the woods yet but Morghan played for the first time tonight so I think things are looking good.

15 comments:

Candi and Skeet said...

We've been praying for you guys. I am so happy to hear that things are looking up. We will continue to pray that she has a quick and full recovery.

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

What a terrible thing to go through! I'm so glad that she is getting better but what a hard time for you guys. We will keep her in our prayers and I hope she continues to get better.

Brittney said...

Hey Lindsey, this is Brittney (Johnson) Stowell! I have glanced at your blog every now and then lately but wanted to leave you a little message after reading this post! I'm so sorry about your little girl being sick! My little boy had to have one x ray last year for pneumonia and I thought I was going to die! I can't imagine how hard that was! I hope she gets better soon, she is such and doll and always laugh when I read what she says and does!

Mandi said...

That is awful and really scary its a good thing you know your stuff and took her in. Being a mom is really stressful.I wish you guys the best she is so dang cute..

Enoch Elementary said...

We wish this ordeal was over with for you guys! I know you are both emotionally and physically exhausted from seeing your little girl so ill. We have been worried sick about her and been praying for her the entire time. Everyday Kadence asks me if Morghan has a fever still and if she is home yet. There is nothing worse than seeing your child lying in a hospital bed. I can't imagine doing it for four days! Hang in there. I wish there was something we could do for you guys but we do send send our love and prayers!

Korey and Brandi said...

Linds I am so sorry that is scary!!! I hope she is doing better keep us posted!!!

Dee Ann Carter said...

Lindsey, I totally feel for you. Addison was in the hospital for 3 days about a week after she was born. I thought that was bad. I think it would have been harder with a toddler telling you and crying for mommy! Thank goodness you are a nurse I'm so sorry. She will be in our prayers!

Bearden Family said...

I am glad things are getting better for you guys. I will pray that they continue to get better.... I saw Aaron's blog on your list, so I looked at it. I would have never recognized him. He looks so different from what I remember. They are a cute family:)

Lydia said...

Lindsey, that is horrible. Your poor family. I'm glad that things are looking a little better. Good luck!

Brooke said...

I am soo sorry. That is so terrifying. I hope she stays getting better!!

Aaron & Melissa said...

WE LOVE YOU !! The girls want to come see Morgie, and give her kisses. It's a good thing she has such wonderful parents!

davidandjodi said...

Linds,

I am so sorry to hear about Morghan. I really don't think there is anything worse than having to watch your child be so sick and not being able to take it away from them. Packer had to be life flighted when he was a baby and so I feel for you. Hang in there we have your family in our thoughts and prayers.
Love ya
Jodi

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

How scary! I hope she is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

That is awful! I am so sorry! There is absolutely nothing worse that watching your child suffer. I hope she is still doing better. Good luck!

The Marvelous Mrs. Miller said...

Your poor baby girl. Glad to hear she is doing better & hope she recovers quickly.